Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - 48' Crawler Hauler build up
View Single Post
Old August 12th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #135
akozman
Chrome Trucker Chicks Rul

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

In case anyone ever gets the ambition to try something like this I figured I'd keep this thread updated with the different things I've run into. But honestly, not much of any issues so far with about 3000miles on it to date and about 20-25days staying in the camper. The biggest thing is that I'm getting some flex between the camper & deck, gonna stiffen it up with some more steel, piece of 5x3x3/16 under the frame rail (gonna do 20' pieces on each frame rail), picked that size because I need to lift the back of the camper 5" to level it out driving down the road and I'm going to tie the deck steel into the camper frame a few feet in each direction. Lastly, since I'm spacing the axles I'm going to move them back about 20"+/- because the rear axle looks like it's getting a bit more load than the rest but that's as far back as I can go without relocating the genny, and I don't really want to go much further back since it'll just increase my turning radius.

Getting into campsites hasn't been too bad, even though we went up to St. Ignace - Straits State Park and tried to get in the lower section...that was tight so we just drove through and went back up to the upper section and got a pull thru site. We also stayed at Yogi Bear in Silver Lake, I thought that was going to be tight but it was a breeze getting in/out of there.

For now I figured I'd post a few pics of the mods I've done to the landing gear & genny mount. I picked up a set of semi 2-speed landing gear for $100 from a scrap yard, dealt with the hand crank for a few months before I got enough ambition to mod on one of the electric motors from the old landing gear. First I tried just the motor but it wasn't tuff enough so I had to use the gear box that came with the motor as well as the 2-speed gear box on the semi landing gear. It still functions as a 2 speed, but I forgot to take a pic of the final setup with the 2nd gearbox, it just slides on/off for going down the road and has a quick plug for electrical, reuses the existing toggle switch.

Genny isn't anything special, just a home for it is all, still need to wire it up direct and get a remote start for it. Honestly at this point I'm not in a rush on that, only place we've used it is at home on 90+deg days w/100% humidity loading it up for a trip since I don't have a 30amp plug to hook the camper up to on the house.

enough babbling, pics :D

akozman is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.08102 seconds with 20 queries