Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - any foxbody people here?
View Single Post
Old July 8th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #31
Be American,Buy American.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Originally Posted by masterbeatty View Post
im lookin at ditchn the 4 lug and going to 5 and would also like to setup a nice suspension for the road not so much strip
Im pretty sure you can go to a salvage yard and get what you need off of a sn-95' - 98 style for the front. and probaly for the rear. Just gotta figure out how many spline axles you have, and get the same amount but with 5 lug.

As for the suspension. I have a 96' cobra, but really its the same basice setup from 79'-98'.
A set of 1''-2" lowering springs, eibeich-sportlines, FRP,QA-1. with some good koni,kyb or the best bilstein shocks. Or if you really want to get into it, combine them and get QA-1 Coilovers, or bilsteins. with Qa1 tubular control arms, tubular k-member and youll loose 35lbs.
If your gonna be messing with ride height, which is a must. Get a set of camber-caster plates, and a tie-rod bumpster kit if its lower then 1".Also grab some steeda ball joints.

Now if you do the 5-lug conversion, get a set of 96' or any cobra set of rims with 245-45-17s, or something even wider in the rear.

If your gona be running the street,track,hiway all around. A good gear ratio with the 17'' cobra rims is 4.10. If your runing smaller rims,like 14's 15's keep the gear ration in the 3.55-3.73 range.
The larger diameter rims even out nice with 4.10s. I can still hit 160 in my cobra with 4.10's and 17'' rims.

If it dosent have posi, find a good used 96-98 cobra/gt 8.8 posi setup, aqnd rebuild with new clutches.Or just swap a complete axle in to solve the posi and 5lug issue.
A set of tublar or aluminum hi-strength upper and lower rear control arms. BBK makes some good ones. Also Qa-1. If its lowere more then 2" then get adjustable uppers to adjust/level out the driveshaft angle.
There are also rear pan-hard bars for the rear axle, but arnt really needed for street.
Oh yea, a underhood strut-tower support bar, and a rear strut tower in the trunk.

Some good poly bushings in the control arms,sway bars etc. And the sway bars out of a 96-98 cobra are dont quote me: 22mm & 26mm compared to the stock 17&19mm, but you get the idea.

For stoping. In the rear, you can get the brake caliper,disc, and bracket for a cobra and do some welding. Or like i said, get a whole cobra/gt/explorer rear axle with posi,5-lug and disc.
Up front, same thing. Go for 96-98cobra parts for front brakes. Also, a 99-04 set of stock lower control arms will give you more clock to clock steering radius, but mite need tie-rod mod/rack&pinion mod.

This is a start. a good start. Your best bet is to look for cobra parts. As they are very reliable, easy to replace, and do the job just fine. Trust me..
cobra96svt570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Page generated in 0.09865 seconds with 21 queries