Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Converting Surge Brakes To Electric Brakes
View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #2
Mclovin
"The Situation"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mclovin Send a message via Yahoo to Mclovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan
We have a 40-ish foot boat trailer that we've adapted (i.e. welded up racks) to carry rowing shells. It's an Eagle triple axle trailer with surge brakes.

The surge brakes failed last year (i.e. system leak somewhere).

Instead of replacing the surge brake system, I'd like to retrofit electric brakes to the trailer, to make it more "comfortable" to tow with half-ton full-size pickups. Most of the weight is the trailer itself, since 10 shells together don't weigh as much as a typical 18-20 foot stern-drive runabout.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Is it just replacing the actuator system or is there more to it?
best way (only way) i know of would be to replace the entire backing plate and probably drum as well with an electric Unit.. TSC stocks this stuff plates are 100 a pair and i beleive the drums are close to that as well.. provided your spindle is the right size..
If you're on Pirate 4x4 PM Trailer guy he knows it all when it comes to trailers..
Mclovin is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05290 seconds with 20 queries