Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - New rear bumper is finished.
View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #10
Bones
skillicous

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Actually, the way it is gusseted (ony 1/2 way down the tab), one solid pull from the D rings on a 45 degree angle will bend the mounting tabs where the tabs meet the end of the frame

The better way to gusset it would be to move the gussets to the outside part of the frame, and run the gussets the full length of the tab (from the bumper to past where it bolts to the frame. That way, the entire tab will be strong in all 3 dimensions from the point it bolts to the frame all the way to the D ring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatehellhound View Post
I'll bet I can pick up the entire back end of the truck with one clevis and nothing will be moving anywhere. Who wants to put some cash on it?
I'll bet I could bend it. Picking up the truck is basically no weight at all compared to pulling on the bumper at a 45 degree (or more) pull during a recovery situation. You are puitting the plate in a perfect shear mode at the end of the frame. Think of how they bend metal in a press, you have the same set-up at the end of the frame. Move your gussets to the outside of the mounting tabs so they go all the way from the bumper to where the bolts go through the frame.

Quote:
Care to take a guess on how thick the hitches mounting flanges on your tow rig are?
Trailer hitches are tube, or atleast angle iron where they mount to the frame. You are using flat stock steel. Competely different.

Quote:
Ever hear of the superstructure of a bridge?
A bridge is designed to have a load on only one angle

Special Thanks and Recommendations to;
Motorcity Machines
Ironman Offroad
Branik Motorsports
Maxxis Tires

Raceline Wheels
PAC Racing Springs
Joint Clutch and Gear

Last edited by Bones; May 24th, 2011 at 12:29 PM.
Bones is online now   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.08902 seconds with 20 queries