Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Why Tread Lightly!...?
View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #9
treadlightly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbdog17 View Post
I try to avoid public lands.
The principles apply to private lands as well. Granted, a private land owner may have much different expectations and rules concerning the use of their lands, but there are still some things to keep in mind... Mainly pertaining to making sure you have permission to be there. The Arkansas Childrens Hospital put out a video a couple years ago that covers some issues of private land access, in addition to the main theme of ATV safety. I recommend that people watch it (its 20min), and then share it with their kids.
http://www.aetn.org/programs/atvsafety

The beauty of public lands is that it affords a much larger variety of recreational experiences on lands we all share, but I know that that access is somewhat more limited in the East and Midwest versus the Western states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
Master trainer courses are hard to come by - the Tread Lightly training only comes around when they have enough interest and some financial support. About a dozen of us attended the Tread Lightly Tread Trainer course about 4 years back in Traverse City, including five 4x4 users. Tim Tull offered his conference room for the training. Unfortunately as a Tread Trainer I cannot train other trainers, my usefulness is in offering programs locally - we did a program with the local Cub Scouts a couple of years ago, and I have been working off and on with Genesee County Parks to try and get something worked into their summer education program, but so far no go.
Correct. We also held a Master Trainer course in Colorado last year, and are working to get some more Master Trainer courses scheduled. We also usually run a Tread Trainer program in cooperation with the NOHVCC annual conference (www.nohvcc.org). I will get more information up concerning those opportunities as they come about.

Thank you for your effort with the Scouts and local government agencies. Its sometimes surprising where cooperative agreements to get outdoor ethics and youth education can lead.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07978 seconds with 20 queries