Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Insurance on a vehical being towed?
View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #26
84Scrambler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler

I have checked into this for my 2-car hauler. My insurance will cover my tow rig, my trailer, and my Jeeps. But, each has its own policy. If I wreck I will have a deductible to pay for the tow rig, the car hauler, and 1 or 2 vehicles on the trailer that belong to me. They will cover the damage for my vehicles. If I am carrying another person's Jeep, they will cover the liability only. The damage is the responsbility of the vehicles owner and their insurance policy.

I had an issue this past year when the bearing on our fifth wheel camper exploded. The wheel came off causing about $3k in damage to the 5er. The wheel also caused some damage to my tow rig. I have to pay the deductible for both vehicles as they are sperately insured even though they were coupled together and the damage to the truck was caused by the wheel coming off the trailer.

You need to seriously read your policy for off-road driven vehicles. Some policies deny coverage for off-road incidents completely. Some policies are vague on that point. You need to get in writing from the underwriter a statement that you are covered. Something verbal from your agent or even in writing from your agent is worthless. Agents don't have the authority to issue coverage or amend coverage or even interpret coverage within a policy. That is up to the underwriter.

Last edited by 84Scrambler; May 5th, 2011 at 09:19 AM.
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04908 seconds with 20 queries