I guess I'll post an update since it seems to be what all the cool kids are doing these days.
Got bored and decided to use the GF's Jeep for tire comparison:
After lots of plasma-ing, cutting, grinding, etc I got the mud truck brackets off, axle cleaned up, trimmed the housing/spring perch a bit, welded the tubes to the housing, etc. Basic structure of the truss:
Boxed in the bottom and put some thru-holes just for style:
It's simple, functional, and different.....I like it. When I get the rear truss done it'll make a lot more sense why I did it that way, but mostly I just felt like doing something a little different just for the hell of it. It'll work well as a UCA mount and lots of extra support for when I launch the thing into orbit.
Tomorrow night I should be able to make some really good progress on the front suspension