View Single Post
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #8
kickstand
sHaMoNe!

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaffie View Post
I just picked up a new PJ trailer. The brochure says it has 2" Pine Treated Lumber deck.

The trailer will be stored outside - exposed to the sun, rain, snow, humidity, the works. I'm looking for a good coating to put on it that make the deck last for 10+ years.

I'm looking for something I can buy locally - Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, Sherwin Williams, etc. I am NOT going to put any type of used motor oil / ATF / diesel fuel type product on it.In the old threads I read on here, seems like a lot of people are still recommending linseed oil. I bought the best stuff for the deck at my house - $150 for 5 gallons from Lowe's, and its holding up well. I've read many times that more color pigment = better protection. Other than that, I don't really have a clue what I need.

I'm a welding guy, not a wood guy, so any input is appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
There was a thread a while back on pirate. There was a nasty mixture that a lot of people swear by, I believe motor oil and diesel or motor oil and gasoline, I can't remember which. Might check there.

Mine needs to get recoated this summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ View Post
My neighbor repainted my trailer and treated the deckboards this past summer after borrowing it a few times. I believe he used 50/50 mix of kerosene and used engine oil for the deck boards.Seems to be holding up well.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Preservatives

weird.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05549 seconds with 11 queries