Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - ?? best treatment for a new treated lumber trailer deck
View Single Post
Old March 8th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)

Originally Posted by knaffie View Post
I just picked up a new PJ trailer. The brochure says it has 2" Pine Treated Lumber deck.

The trailer will be stored outside - exposed to the sun, rain, snow, humidity, the works. I'm looking for a good coating to put on it that make the deck last for 10+ years.

I'm looking for something I can buy locally - Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, Sherwin Williams, etc. I am NOT going to put any type of used motor oil / ATF / diesel fuel type product on it.In the old threads I read on here, seems like a lot of people are still recommending linseed oil. I bought the best stuff for the deck at my house - $150 for 5 gallons from Lowe's, and its holding up well. I've read many times that more color pigment = better protection. Other than that, I don't really have a clue what I need.

I'm a welding guy, not a wood guy, so any input is appreciated.
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
There was a thread a while back on pirate. There was a nasty mixture that a lot of people swear by, I believe motor oil and diesel or motor oil and gasoline, I can't remember which. Might check there.

Mine needs to get recoated this summer.
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ View Post
My neighbor repainted my trailer and treated the deckboards this past summer after borrowing it a few times. I believe he used 50/50 mix of kerosene and used engine oil for the deck boards.Seems to be holding up well.

kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Page generated in 0.09442 seconds with 21 queries