Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - .
Thread: .
View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #192
kb8ymf
Not as old as Whiterhino

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbrattt View Post
It is a 50/50 war from what I read...did a thread search with "oil pan" some have had issues with stock , some with aftermarket, just a matter of what works for your wheeling style it seems.
I've a got a pictorial for all the pans for the GIII/IV vehicles hanging around somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up. I did see a slightly different version of it somewhere online though. The big difference betwen the truck pans and the Camaro and older Corvette pans are the forward and latteral slosh control. The walls and the 'mouse holes' as we called them just slow the oil from piling up at the front or sides of the pan in side to side skid pad testing. The truck does not have a forward side lip like the shallow pans do and they allow oil to flood the front of the engine and starve the pickup. Same thing the Kevko pans do but they do it with trap doors. They all try to do the same thing, keep the oil near the pickup so it doesn't starve. Something we looked at but the complexity/risk for failure was to great for a production vehicle. Hell we even went as far as designing a pickup called the 'swinging d_ck'! Literally is was a swinging pickup on a fixed tube that rotated in the bottom of the pan. It worked but at what cost? If you're intent on running it on it's side for extended periods I'd look into an accumulator. Short of that I'd use one of the short pans with the baffle walls and mouse holes. AND a oil pressure switch and light that is as bright as a 100 watt bulb. When it goes on, shut it down. Save yourself $1000's
jim-kb8ymf
kb8ymf is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06653 seconds with 20 queries