Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Looking at older DSLR's
View Single Post
Old January 8th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #6
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebs View Post
D100's and D70's are getting to be pretty old stuff now. If you're looking for a pre-owned camera, I'd say get whatever is the more recent model in your price range. The new stuff is almost always better.

I haven't shopped prices since I bought my D60 a few years ago, but I image you might be able to scoop up one of those in your price range, given that it's been replaced with a newer entry level model. A D40 is nearly the same camera, but I don't think the kit lens is a VR (Vibration Reduction) lens like the D60.
I don't mind old stuff, it means I get it cheaper. I am only a hobbyist, so as long as I can blow it up to 8x10 I don't care. It isn't a camera I will be carrying everywhere, just because of the bulk. It will be for when I am out with a purpose in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlkYJ 355 View Post
Keep in mind that with a D40 you will lose the ability to auto focus older lenses that don't have the motor built in. The D100 and D70 both have the ability to focus these lenses. Even some brand new lenses don't have a motor in them
That is my only concern with the D40, that and it is all composite, while lighter it seems as though they don't take a beating that well. I know I am probably going to give it a good beating even as much as I care for my cameras.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06381 seconds with 20 queries