Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Mid-Engine Sand rail Project
View Single Post
Old December 24th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #23
pitbull2332

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
that trans is std type 1 pre 1969...1969 and up are IRS. And no you cannot build them to be strong. You can get them to handle a little bit of power, but you have to be careful or it WILL blow.. Out of all the type 1, the swing axle is stronger than the IRS, but both are the big weak link using that style of trans. I'm not sure how you can see a heavy duty side plate because I cant see one from the pics. the side plate is what holds the ring carrier in place. I've never hard of this rhino case the one guy is claiming. I will tell you there was NEVER a "rhino" case transaxle that came from VW
How is it a swing axle is stronger than an IRS? IRS has a 8 bolt ring gear instead of 6. They have stronger ring and pinion gears, and they have corse teeth on the gear stack, and better syncros. You can build a type 1 to handle a lot of power, It just costs money. the side cover on that trans is on the wrong side for a mid engine. it needs to be on the ring gear side to help the carrier from deflecting down It would be hard to put an 002 or 091 trans in a mid. you cant flip the ring gears like you can on a type 1 trans. you would have to run it upside down and there would be no way to oil it. Not saying it cant be done but hard.
pitbull2332 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.08295 seconds with 20 queries