Thread: Hero's
View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #1
HillBilly Delux

Hero's

I'm over in Afghanistan right now on a 120 day tour as a Aeromedical Evacuation Flight Nurse. I have been a nurse now for about 13 years, and have worked Emergency and SICU at at level I trauma center in the Detroit Metro area.
I am also a prior service Army Paratrooper. I was stationed at Ft Bragg, and while I was there I went to Operation Just Cause, and the first Gulf War. I finishd my initial enlistment in Company F 425 infantry in Pontiac Michigan.

The point of my short bio is to illustrate that I am not new to any of the things I have mentioned. It has been an eye opening expierence seeing the battle injuries some of these troops sustain. I am seeing traumatic amputations on a regular baisis from IED blasts. Not to mention a litteny of other injuires.

The other day a kid on my plane stopped me and said "Sir check this out". He was holding a 7.62 mm round that had entered his upper arm and shattered the bone in his upper arm. It then richochetted up his arm and went through his scapula, and came to rest under the skin in his back. When they surgicially repaired everything they gave him the round in a plastic container.
He was smiling when he told me his story.

These kids are hero's. All of the people that I have transported during my time here have been great. They all have great attitudes, in spite of their injuires and losses.

It is cool to have the oppertunity to serve with, and help these great people.
HillBilly Delux is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05206 seconds with 11 queries