Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - GL4x4 Motorcycle Club
View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #278
BlooMule
pew pew

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglenn View Post
I might be looking into a dirtbike soon. Guess it would be good to learn on or whatever. The guy at the local dirtbike shop suggested a 250 4-stroke, and I'm thinking Yamaha. I didn't know a 4-stroke would be better suited for me but oh well.
I'll be hitting up the desert so nothing but wide open space to screw around on. I'm not sure if there are classes that are meant to be taken for dirtbikes or not. I just don't want to look like a total douche out there since I've never ridden.
I'd consider a Honda over a Yamaha. Every Honda I've owned has been dead solid reliable, even the ones that sat abandoned for 10 years fire up with minimal hassle.

Yamahas, well, most of the ones I've had get carb or electrical problems if not kept scrupulously clean.
And a 4 stroke is a more forgiving bike to learn on. Plus they live longer. Everybody on a 2 stroke will pass you like you hit the brakes, but they will be rebuilding their engine twice before your first oil change (OK, that's an exaggeration all you 2 stroke guys)
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07760 seconds with 20 queries