Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - A bill that I actually approve (and I don't mean me)
View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Bones
skillicous

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bones
Default A bill that I actually approve (and I don't mean me)

http://www.news4jax.com/news/2487108...tml?source=jax

Quote:
They can fight for our country but are too young to legally to drink with their comrades, and U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston, R-Ga., wants to change that.

Kingston introduced H.R. 4958 in late July. It would allow active-duty service members at least 18 years old to drink beer and wine on military bases, with some restrictions.

Kingston said the troops are making major decisions, so it makes sense to let them have the privilege of enjoying a drink on post.

"They're going to the Middle East to kill people. They're going to be driving tanks. They're going to be flying helicopters. If it's at King's Bay, they're going to be in submarines. Yet we won't let them have a drink when they're on base," Kingston told WSAV-TV. "It's, I think, just counterintuitive, it doesn't make sense, and it's an insult to soldiers."

Several military installations, including Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay and Fort Stewart, the largest Army base east of the Mississippi, are in Kingston's congressional district.

Under the bill, 18 to 20 year-old service members would be able to buy beer and wine on at any post establishment where the alcohol is sold to be consumed, including restaurants, enlisted clubs and recreational facilities.

The law would not allow military personnel under 21 to take the alcohol home for consumption, even if they live on post. It would not apply anywhere outside a military installation.

At least one retired service member is in favor of the plan.

"I don't have no problem with a young man if he's willing to give his life for his country at 18, he ought to be able to have a beer. I mean, to a certain point, let's don't go overboard." said James Deloach, who served in the U.S. Air Force.

Kingston said the military is unofficially supporting the bill. The bill has yet to be scheduled for a hearing before a House committee.

Special Thanks and Recommendations to;
Motorcity Machines
Ironman Offroad
Branik Motorsports
Maxxis Tires

Raceline Wheels
PAC Racing Springs
Joint Clutch and Gear
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06715 seconds with 20 queries