Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Waggy dana 44 dis/assembly axle shaft/gears breakdown steps, with photos.
View Single Post
Old August 29th, 2010, 08:39 PM   #11
sodapop
Support the Sport!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
It sounds like he may have removed the wire and snap rings. Just guessing here.

Carbon, you need to be a bit more specific. Are both rings removed? Next, take a couple of the long bolts that held the lockout in place and screw them into the inner lockout splined ring. Put them 180* across from each other. This is what's shown in the 4th pic above.
That's what I read too, but I've never had one seized in there and sometimes if it's been awhile, that ring kinda blends in, which is why I asked.

95geo - How's he going to get to that spindle nut if the lockout is in there. I can't picture any way that is possible. The lockout completely fills in the hub.

Carbon, does the lockout wiggle at all? If the snap and wire rings are out and it doesn't wiggle, my next course of action would be to use a metal hammer and hit around the hub above the area where the lockout is and try to knock any rust loose. If that didn't work, I use a punch and hit the lockout itself (with some restraint of course). If that didn't work, I'd move to heat. If it does wiggle, then you're must be missing something.
sodapop is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05311 seconds with 20 queries