Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - school me on the RZR side by sides
View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:24 AM   #20
DuffMan
Your Message Here

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Trail Junkie, I would highly recommend an enduro motorcycle to enjoy Michigan's trails. :)
Or if you're manly enough go with four wheels... ;)

Seriously, many of the best trails (not routes where a Jeep can legally go, but 50" trails) are tight for a full-size quad. There are many cases where my 48 and change inch wide Polaris Sportsman rubs or requires a 3/4 point turns. I've seen the two-up quads struggle to make turns due to their length. A stock RZR is *slightely" wider and longer. There's also the issue of height with the cage - when off-camber (as many trails are in the turns and twisties) the cage interferes with trees.

So, while I think the RZRs are a pretty cool idea, they'd be pretty limited on many MI trails. There are sections of Rose City, Ogemaw Hills, St Helen (the "back areas" south of I-75), Denton, Geels, Meadows, Frederick, and Bull Gap they wouldn't get through without a lot of beating and banging or maybe not at all with a longarm or wider tires.

If I was younger a SoS-plated dual sport would be the way to go. Otherwise a utility quad (IRS and Cadillac-like padded seat) is the way to go.

Page generated in 0.05351 seconds with 20 queries