View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #1
kj kyle
Devil Dolphin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default KJ Kyle's "phase one" CJ7 build.

this isn't going to be much of a build thread. I leave for Navy basic training July 5th so I just figured I would fill ya'll in on what I did this year. This is my first build, when I started I knew nothing about 4 wheel drive. I actually couldn't even drive it right away because I couldn't drive a manual trans

so here she is on day 1. it has a 350 / sm465 / np205. 5" lift, new frame, some clapped out 35''s, and stock narrow tracks and all the bling bling

I drove it around the beach and what not for the summer, and the first day of fall it went into the garage for disassembly. right now the specs are:

1981 CJ7, 350/sm465/np205. 44/60. 106" wb. 37"s

full width chevy 44 front, with outboarded RE 1444 spring overs. bilstein 5150s, ballistic high steer arms, moog ball joints, spicer 760x joints, 4.10 gears, aussie locker, poison spyder 'bombshell', rancho stabilizer.

the steering starts with an AGR gear box, and astro van pitman arm. I used a combination of 1 ton tie rod ends, and heims. I had Pikes offroad tap some .250 DOM for a drag link and tie rod.

I stretched the front end forward ~6" and ran the shackles on the front of the bumper. my intentions were to keep the rig as low as possible, with a 106" wheel base.

The rear axle is a dana 60. It has the factory limited slip in it for the moment, and a disc brake conversion. also used ballistic Truss, and cover.

The rear suspension is a double triangulated 4 link stretched 5". I used 2" x .250 lowers, 1.5" x .120 uppers. bushings on the frame side, heims on the axle. I'm using stock TJ coils and bilstein 5150s

For the brakes, I am running a 1980 corvette master cylinder (it bolted in with zero modifications) a wilwood adjustable proportioning valve, and half ton calipers front a rear.

also has genright stretch corner gaurds, H2 rims wrapped in 37" goodyear MT/R kevlars tube fenders, ORO flush mount lights.

I'm kicking around the idea of moving the bumper in flush with the body, and I'll have a 90* departure angle

just a little flex. my engine hoist was about to fall over

still to finish is a rocker guards, mount up the warn winch, driveshafts, finishing the tube fenders, plumbing brakes, and paint.

she's still a little tall for my liking, but I only have 4" of uptravel. hopefully phase 2 will start next spring. I am hoping to get stationed at whidbey Island NAS in Washington. then I plan on coil overs front and rear, flat belly skid, lomax 300 and a full cage / harnesses, 35 spl. detroit, RCVs blah blah blah

better pictures to come...

Last edited by kj kyle; July 2nd, 2010 at 08:55 PM.
kj kyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05690 seconds with 11 queries