Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

01 RM 250 Power Valve

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  dreezy 
#1 ·
The actuator rod came out of the hole that it goes into and its been a bitch trying to get it to clip back into its a hole. I know this is a shot in the dark but is there a was to get it back in where it goes without pulling the side of the motor off or am I screwed into taking half of the bottom end apart to clip it back in?

Here is a diagram of what I'm working with, it is the K1 model.
http://www.bikebandit.com/2001-suzuki-motorcycle-rm250k1-carburetor-model-k1/o/m6589sch258245

Any help would be very appriciated. Im trying to get this thing set to go to the dunes the week before the 4th of july.

#6 ·
All exhaust valves are operated by centrifugal force and depending on the setup - the assy will not move unless it is spinning pretty fast. The KX we have won't move because there are parts in the way the spin out of the way when it's running.

#7 ·
With the Power Valve side cover off, I could rotate it its full range of motion by hand. Now the shaft will only rotate about an 1/8 of a turn to wide open and wont return to closed. Talking with a guy at work he thinks its carbon build up, but it was opening and closing freely.

#9 ·
Shit.

Carbon would limit motion, depending on your premix of choice, but if you could move it freely before, sounds like something in the linkage is binding. Sucks you're down by STL :(
Fixed. I will tear the top end off it again off it again this weekend and see what that f is up.

I had been running Klotz benoil in it. I know it isnt the greatest for a bike with a pv, but my atk didnt have one and I had a bit of it left over. I dont know what the previous owner used. He either had no clue, or played me pretty good. This bike has been a bit of a headache.

#10 ·
I got it apart and back together on saturday. The clip was still in one piece and it snapped right in. Its amazing what new rings, a re-packed muffler, new air filter, oh and removing a huge ass weight from the flywheel did to wake this thing up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.