Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Are my gears Standard Cut (LP) or Reverse Cut (HP)?
View Single Post
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #21
PavementPounder
I am the law.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigfat View Post
My friend you are incorrect! the driveshaft still turns forward or reverse. anyway you put the axle on the driveshaft will still turn the same way hence. Forward is forward and backward is backward. Your tires will still drive forward in drive. you just will drive the weight of the vehicle on the coast side of the gear. Think about it.
I think you need to realize that after you flip the axle, the 12:00 position of the tire will now be touching the ground instead of the 6:00 position.

Pick up a pencil, start rotating it, and flip it end over end while you are still rotating it. The direction in which the driveshaft is turning the pinion has nothing to do with it and nobody is even saying that would change.

I don't need you to believe me. If the pencil doesn't do it for you, go find a drum-braked rear axle. That's the easiest "real thing" to use to demonstrate it.
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.19385 seconds with 20 queries