Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Checking for a good weld
View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #1
lgottler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default Checking for a good weld

Any professional welders give advice for visual checking a weld?

I'm running a job at our shop and because of some weld failures from the last supplier (along with fit problems), we won the job, but I don't want a single failure from us.

Aside from destructive testing, do you think its possible to accurately check a weld visually?

The welds I'm putting on now, (robotic welder) I set it as high as I could go without blowing through the metal (only .075 thick). The back side of the weld would glow bright red while welding. After a weld, the back of the area has a scale on it, I'm assuming is the metal de-carbing from the heat.

Now destructively, these welds are strong, I tore the metal next to the welds right off. Visually looking at the backside, can I use that grey scale buildup as a sign of good penetration, or not? Its a sign of heat, but what about penetration? Would that go hand in hand?

We hand welded the first 100 and I had to TIG repair about 40 of them because visually, the back of the welds didn't look like they got hot enough, so I hit it again with a bit of filler.

This picture shows how the robotic welder is set right now, sorry, no back side shot, can't get in there. I'm running a bead straight down, then I come back on itself at the end to add filler and keep from blowing out the edge.

Lucas
lgottler is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07016 seconds with 20 queries