Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Oversized Tire Balancing -- Opinions and Options
View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #1
delemi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to delemi Send a message via MSN to delemi Send a message via Yahoo to delemi Send a message via Skype™ to delemi
Post Oversized Tire Balancing -- Opinions and Options

So after driving my truck into town the other day I decided it rode like crap. I only mount these tires seasonal (Spring - Summer). When I had street tires on my Dodge Ram it was smooth and live-able. Now it seems like the tires are unbalanced. We all know balancing tires is necessary but how to balance an over sized tire that will see street use. Currently I run old Goodyear Military tires 36x12.5x16.5 that are 90% or better. I had these mounted at a local tire shop and on two of the tires I have 3lbs of weights. (Unacceptable in my opinion) I am looking for alternatives to smooth out the ride.

My ride starts out with lots of wheel vibration as I speed up and centrifugal force start to make the tires foot print shrink, less of the sides are touching and more of the center (the tire expands, the faster you go) and around 55mph it smooths out. But I don't want my truck to shake apart or cause unnecessary damage. I have tried to run these tires at different psi's. I have even found the optimal "even" foot print (point at which the tire treads are touching the ground equally), not over inflated or under-inflated.

So far I have found one option. Used on large truck tires (Semi) and off road tires. Dyna Beads. I have read many reviews and they are definitely an option in my opinion. But are there other options?

Doing the math I estimate I will need 10oz of Dyna Beads for my 36's (metric conversion 318/78/R16.5) They only list there application amounts for metric tires.

Let me hear your thoughts and ideas......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03324.jpg
Views:	1400
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	60082  
delemi is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07172 seconds with 21 queries