Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - sterling 10.5 front axle, Now a Build Thread!
View Single Post
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #38
camccardell
tiger blood

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

well, I would love to cut the welds and press in new tube, but I have 2 problems.

#1 no cutting torch, and no one around me seems to have one.

#2 even if I rented one or bought one, how in the hell would I press out the tube? I seriously doubt that my 20 ton press could do it.

If anyone out there can help me with this, please let me know, as this is the preferred methood.

called advantage drive line, and they told me it's a no go.

found me something cool as hell last night though.

Shur-Brite star discs. I contacted them and they are sending me a few samples, and I called production tool supply and also have some ordered. they are designed to grind or polish the inside of a tube.
Not too sure about it, But I'll give it a try.
http://www.pts-tools.com/cgi/CGPTSRI...=02_05_003_005

Also got me a 6ft legnth of 2-7/8 tube yesterday as well, so things are looking up, assuming I can make it fit, and fit snugly.

I need to find out if the super duty inner seals will work for this axle. If not, I'm sure I can come up with something.

still need access to a lathe....

Well I am posting this out of state, at work. I should be home tommorrow night, so hopefully I will be back at it on thursday!

Last edited by camccardell; January 19th, 2010 at 06:41 PM.
camccardell is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05603 seconds with 20 queries