Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - sterling 10.5 front axle, Now a Build Thread!
View Single Post
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #33
camccardell
tiger blood

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Well what and educational experience I had today...
My chop saw bit the big one, so I had to drive over to battle creek. They were cool and replaced it no prob and gave me a free 2 yr warranty.

Anyway, I got the caliper bracket off and made some space in the garage and moved everything in out of the cold.

Here is a shot of the spindle. I made my cut right on the shoulder of it to maximize the tube I would have to work with.

1'st mistake

Too much material, took forever to cut through. Not only that I didn't measure properly, so trying to save the tube was pointless. It just isn't long enough. It was about 2 and a half inches too short.

Guess I shoulda set it up to use the 79 legnth axleshafts instead of the 90's series ones.

I did however get the drivers side cut properly. It actually looks rather good, I just wonder if I am going to have enough material to weld the brackets for the coils and arms.

well, I went back to the passenger side and cut off an additional 3 inches, hoping to get into the meat of the tube and out of the spindle.

The weld bead was easy to see on the inside, so I cut back 1" from that. I am going to have to sleeve the tube anyway so who cares about a few more inches right?

I chopped it off and ground the hell out of it for good penetration.

Well, mistake #2 the inside of the tube is only 2 and 13/16 in diameter. The other side is exactly 3" in diameter, so what the hell?

Well I cleaned out the metal shavings and saw it. There is a little bit of a shoulder in there. guess I need to take off an additioinal inch and a half.

I will cut the tube down tommorrow and cut a piece out of the other side and get them both ready to weld.
I'll have to wait till monday to get some 3" .250 wall tube

Last edited by camccardell; January 16th, 2010 at 07:18 PM.
camccardell is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06188 seconds with 20 queries