Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - F250 brakes suck
View Single Post
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #2
barry1me
Just another day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhous
Not only do they suck when they are knew but they suck when you go to replace the pads at 80K. I baby my truck did the fronts earlier in the year and turned the rotors forver at my buddies shop before they were decent put good pads and got some stopping back. Did the rears last weekend the rotors looked terrible. Pads still had 1/4"+ on them had to have the rotors turned at Murrays due to lack of time. Murrays tried but turned them down as far as they claimed that they were allowed and they still had tons of rust on the inner and outer edges (~50% of the rotor surface).

So the 1yr rotors = $75 a piece the 5yr = $160 not in stock. I bought the $75's, plus pads = $45 not bad but if I had done it the way I prefer it would have only been $40 plus $10 for each rotor.

They claim that they see more and more rotors that can never be turned even though the owner tried before the first set of pads ever wore to metal. What kind of bs is this. They also claimed that there machine couldn't turn the inside parking brake surface and the parking brake shoes are $167 anyways so I said f that!

I love Ford's and I will continue to buy them to support the jobs that I have and have had and friends etc. but the quality seemed better on my 79 for sure.
I used to design brakes at TRW and after working there I will never turn a rotor on a vehicle that I actually care for. I hate to say this but spend the money now and just buy new rotors. FYI in the future when you buy a new vehicle and dont like something complain to the dealers, and when you get the surveys in the mail fill those out and say what you dont like about them, believe it or not those surveys are taken pretty seriously. I do know that TRW does design the brakes on the 2005MY and up Ford super duties so they are going to be much better then older Super duties. Unless you were using your parking brake a ton there shouldnt any reason to turn the parking brake drum...FYI the parking brake that you are talking about is called a Drum in Hat style parking brake.
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06704 seconds with 20 queries