Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Michigan's First, Formula Toyota #095 build up *updates 11/13, pg3*
View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:49 PM   #44
4Bangler
Jackstand Wheeler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimy311 View Post
1" V bottom die opening is WAY too small. It was not "air bending" as much as "die forming". We didn't have enough 2" V bottom die opening length to bend these, which would have made it easy. On the 1" bottom die, it requires 19.1 Tons per foot, where as the 2" bottom changes that to 9.5 Tons per foot. Big difference! The crossmembers were like 43" long, so just beyond the 60 Tons of pressure the press has. Trust me, this press is no slouch!
Yeah, my brain must have been farting at 4:30am...according to our die charts, .188 steel in a 1" bottom die takes like 24tons per foot, which would mean your press would be maxed out at a 30" long bend....but our charts probably have a lot more safety factor built in to keep the guys from breaking equipment. Even a 1.25 die would ease the load quite a bit. It just seem odd to me, until I realised that our shop bends 7ga. on a 600 ton press

Page generated in 0.06372 seconds with 20 queries