Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Anyone running a Lq4 or lq9 in thier jeep?
View Single Post
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #43
95geo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somer1 View Post
No I ve heard some people had to do head work in order to run a cam. upgraded valves and such. Just woundering if it was neccesary or not. What would be a good price for a complete drive line, I've found low mileage 5.3l for 3000.00. But as poste befor I don't want to be disappionted with the power.
valve springs are usually only the required upgrade for a cam because of the higher lift and faster acceleration rates of the valvetrain with the bigger lobes needs more spring to keep it under control. I went with hollow stem sodium something filled valves and .080" wall chromoly push rods to help stiffen my valvetrain up in addition to the springs.

you will only be disappointed with the power if you want a race car. a 5.3L isnt going to pull like a modded diesel, it will move around just fine and on the top end it'll suprize you. a 6.0L can be modded for a couple grand and make your jeep run 120 mph in the quarter mile and to some that's too much power and others that's just right.

you have to find out what you want out of it and tehn make that decision on your own... maybe go for a ride with some people before you make your final decision.

for 3k I'd go with the 6.0L. for 1500 I'd do a 5.3L
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05598 seconds with 20 queries