Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - 98 TJ Build....Updated 4/16/10
View Single Post
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:24 AM   #384
Skooter_Built
Fuck talk, Duck walk!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab View Post
AA told me not to use any support that comes off the rear output. They said it should be fine alone but if you think you really need a support then to do it off the bottom plate bolts. Theres multiple threads on pirate too about tranny breakage with the use of rear support rings. Just an fyi I suppose. Builds looking good by the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95geo View Post
the problem with the ones breaking is more a problem of crappy mounting rather than having a tail shaft support.

if you look at almost every one that has had a failure it is because the transmission took an impact and the tail shaft support held the t-case down and something had to give. if you make the trans and it's mount so it's not going to take an impact without distributing it evenly then you will have problems... I.E. different crossmembers for each mount or one of them against the belly skid where it will deflect.

mine will have the mid support, tail shaft support and torque arm off the output side of the t-case mount all on the same cross member, if one takes a hit they all will. that's the key.

if I had more than 1/2" clearance from my t-case to the cross member I would make a single support that hooked to the access panel like AA's divorced mount and BTF's latest mount. the more material you can grab and hold together in one piece the better.
ive seen this and noticed it alot on pirate. Im still on the fence with using some kind of t-case support with my 4speed.

If you want peace, prepare for war!

Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting.
Skooter_Built is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.09144 seconds with 20 queries