Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - 98 TJ Build....Updated 4/16/10
View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #383
95geo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab View Post
Theres multiple threads on pirate too about tranny breakage with the use of rear support rings.
the problem with the ones breaking is more a problem of crappy mounting rather than having a tail shaft support.

if you look at almost every one that has had a failure it is because the transmission took an impact and the tail shaft support held the t-case down and something had to give. if you make the trans and it's mount so it's not going to take an impact without distributing it evenly then you will have problems... I.E. different crossmembers for each mount or one of them against the belly skid where it will deflect.

mine will have the mid support, tail shaft support and torque arm off the output side of the t-case mount all on the same cross member, if one takes a hit they all will. that's the key.

if I had more than 1/2" clearance from my t-case to the cross member I would make a single support that hooked to the access panel like AA's divorced mount and BTF's latest mount. the more material you can grab and hold together in one piece the better.
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04841 seconds with 20 queries