Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - T-max winch owners, do this fix before it breaks on the trail.
View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #1
clarkstoncracker
lol

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default T-max winch owners, do this fix before it breaks on the trail.

I can only speak for the competition 9000, so I'm not sure if the others are the same. So this will be a fix for the Competition t-max winch, until I hear otherwise.

The clutch handle is limited by a wedge pin that is made of the softest metal that tmax could evidently find. Picture lead, but half melted, and you now know how strong the pin is. If you push slightly past the limit of the pin (the pin is supposed to stop the travel) then it will break, the handle will fall out and you will lose the spring and ball that keeps the handle locked into the in or out position. Then you're SOL. I know of two other people with this winch, and they both failed on the first trip they had to use it.

I purchased the proper wedge pin, and after I installed it, I broke it on the bench with just a little force.

Here's my fix, and besides driving to get the new pin, it took less then 30 minutes from opening it up to find out what was wrong, to having it put back together and tested.

use a 4mm allen wrench to remove the 10 bolts holding the clutch side of the winch. When you go to remove the existing push pin, be VERY careful not to pull the clutch handle out!! Trust me, you will struggle for a while to get the spring and ball bearing back under the handle.

1/8" pin punch happens to be the proper diameter, and a gabillion times stronger.

I cut the punch 1/4" short, so it would sink into the handle, and could then easily be plug welded. This is next to part of the 2nd wedge pin that I broke

Then I welded the pin in (stupid camera phone picture) I put way more force then you, (or your winch bitch) would ever use against the free spool and engage limits of the clutch, and it is extremely sturdy.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	7712
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	43216   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	4551
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	43217   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.jpg
Views:	4356
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	43218   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.jpg
Views:	4364
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	43219  

Last edited by clarkstoncracker; May 11th, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06904 seconds with 21 queries