Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Age Restrictions
View Single Post
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #14
TOPWOP
www.michatv.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I'll see if I can help you guys out here.

Under Michigan law, a person can operate an ORV at ANY age, as long as they are ORV certified and under the direct visual supervision of an adult while operating..A pick-up truck or jeep is defined by Michigan law as an ORV when it is being used in a Scramble area or a Designated ORV Route..So,essentially, a youth could legally operate a Pick-Up truck/Jeep at any age on a Designated Route/Scramble area IF they have their ORV safety certificate AND are being watched by an adult while operating. I do NOT recommend that you allow this because you might possilbe be hit with a child endangerment charge IF something went wrong.

Here's the catch for SLSD!

The SLSD has what they call a LUOD or Land Use Order of Director.What this does is allow the Director of the MDNR to issue orders to implement land use rules for certain instances. In this case,for safety reasons, the DNR Director finds it necessary to implement a LUOD for SLSD for the use of ANY type of ATV/ORV use by any youth under the age of 12 years old.

I am looking into this as I do not beleive a LUOD can over rule a State Law.. They got away with this LUOD garbage when they gave the dirt bike riders their OWN exclusive 24'' trails to ride even though State Statue allready defined what a designated trail and forest trail is..

Bill Gilbert
DIRECTOR-Mich ORV Safety Assoc
www.michatv.com
TOPWOP is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06862 seconds with 20 queries