Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - From Cardboard to Reality.. 1959 CJ3b build..
View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:54 PM   #97
Haggar
Covered in mud...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

To align everything, I got a piece of 1.25" x 60" stressproof steel, which has been ground, trued, and polished.

The third member was bolted back into the housing chuck, and the alignment bar was slid in. Then the knuckles were slid on, on their alignment tubes, and I could measure up the axle tubes.

Here's a side shot, you can see all the pieces which keep it aligned.

And here's where I am as of now. I'm basically ready to weld, but I want to measure everything 17 more times to makes sure. I have another set of alignment pucks, which go into the other end of the tube, and slide insde the housing end, which were to hold the tube in line. But, I don't think they are really necessary, as the housing holds it pretty well centered ( I test fit them, things lined up fine with our without them. ). So, hopefully tomorrow night I can weld it. Thats about 3 weeks of progress there, but i've only had 1 or 2 hours per wekeend to work and thats it. This is 4" longer on the long side, and 2" longer on the short side. Total width will be 62" wms/wms without any spacers.

One thing I need to do before welding is figure out the angles I want. I think stock Toys only run about 1.5 degrees of caster, and I think 5 degrees would be better for DW prevention. And then I want to tip the pinion upwards about 5 degrees from stock, which is what I ran on my diamond axle.

Last edited by Haggar; February 22nd, 2009 at 08:58 PM.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05869 seconds with 20 queries