Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - From Cardboard to Reality.. 1959 CJ3b build..
View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:33 PM   #96
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,723
iTrader: (56)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

So, next, I worked on the balls

I've seen a few different people rig up something to hold it in the lathe, but didn't see the need. I trimmed the excess tube just past the end of the knuckle ball with a grinder. Then you can use a 3-jaw chuck to grab the inside of the knuckle shank. Then ran a bull-nose live center into the machined inner diameter of the other side, worked fine. Just had to be carefull as I turned them, as I was working very close to the chuck. Carriage stop is your friend here.






I was assured my lathe was the latest model then I bought it



While I was working with the lathe, I made 6 other pieces to align things. 2 for the knuckles, 2 for the tubes and 2 for the differential. The knuckles, once the old tube is removed, have a 70mm outer dimension, which is 2.756". So they just need a little bit removed to be a light press fit into the axle tubes. The inner dimension of the knuckles is 40mm, so the alignment pieces are made to fit in there, from some scrap 1.75 x 0.250 dom. A 1.25" alignment bar is going through everything to hold it all straight. I used some pucks of aluminum to make spacers to fit in place of the carrier bearings. The bearings are 79.95mm OD.


Last edited by Haggar; February 22nd, 2009 at 08:45 PM.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Page generated in 0.06686 seconds with 20 queries