Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - From Cardboard to Reality.. 1959 CJ3b build..
View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:25 PM   #95
Haggar
Covered in mud...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

OK, a bit of an update. So, got that front axle in the pics above all cleaned up, about 6 weeks ago. Then spent lots of time with the tape measure, paper models, CAD models, etc, looking at the geometry. The problem is the axle is just too narrow. With the suspension being air-shocks, I need to package them properly. But there was no way to get them to clear the tire at full stuff and clear the frame at full extension, without severely notching the frame, which I just don't like. Really wanted a wider axle, anyway. Tried to find a Dana 44 that I liked, but none were right, and honestly, they don't seem to hold up as well as built Toy fronts, in my personal experience (your experience may be different).

So, decided to try making my own axle. I have a spare housing, so if I destroy it, I'm not out much money.

So, first step is to chop up the old axle. Cut off the knuckle balls, and then cut the tubes off by the housing.

Then cut the housing more to fit the new tubes, which are 3.25 x 0.250 DOM. Plasma made this a little easier.

Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06219 seconds with 20 queries