Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - WhiteRhino's Latest Mods
View Single Post
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #333
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Well, since I'm getting old and lazy, I got tired of using my winch for double duty as a front pull down. One of the biggest issues is that I had gotten in a precarious position with my front pulled down. When we decided to pull cable, I let up on the pull down and then it got really tippy. So, I decided to separate the 2 functions. I picked up a T-Max 2300 pound ATV winch from Ironman. It mounts to my front cross tube of the frame, directly underneath my 9000 pound winch.

The cable runs up and over a cross tube that is a frame stiffener in the steering area and doubles as the upper mount for the limiting strap. (note; limiting strap not mounted) I added a 2" diameter pulley on the back side of the tube for the cable. For the moment the end of the cable is mounted to the limiting strap tab. This will move.

Then the cable runs down to a snatch block mounted to the axle and then back up to the cross tube. For the moment I have a cheap snatch block from TSC on the axle. It's only rated at about 500 pounds and I don't think it's going to hold up so I will need to make my own snatch block. This one worked out pretty well though because when I sucked the front end down the thin side plates bent in the compound angle needed for everything to line up. This makes for a great template for a stiffer one.

So now I won't have to crawl underneath in the slop to be able to use my winch when needed.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07591 seconds with 20 queries