View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #10
cjric

When I got my Willys (55 cj3b) it had a "roll-bar" made from 2.5" pipe and bolted to the fender wells. Absolutely no roll over protection and since I wanted it more stock looking, I removed it. My thought on a "sport-bar" on any older Jeep is that it is attached to thin, rusted sheetmetal and is probably providing at most a false sense of security.

My Willys doesnt have seat belts either. When I drive it, I drive w/ the same mindset as if I were riding a motorcycle. I also dont drive it over 40 or drive it on busy, fast roads. Mostly through town on neighborhood roads and back country roads. I avoid as much traffic as I can.

If you are planning on using your Jeep in this manner, I see no problem w/ getting rid of the "sport-bar". You cant eliminate seat belts though, and I wouldnt want to be attached to a rolling jeep w/ no other protection. But, thats your call.

If you plan on commuting regularly in traffic, driving at higher speeds or offroading, keep it, and even modify and reinforce it.
cjric is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03806 seconds with 11 queries