Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Towing in the winter
View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #28
Nuzzy
likes him some Red Dog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I might be reading these wrong, but this would be my interpretation

.075" is not a chain... thats a small piece of wire

This one is odd
I believe this simply means that at any point in time, the state police can declair an "extreme situation" where chains would be acceptable, usually following an usual amount of snowfall. The only time I can think of this happening to me personally was in 2001 when I was living in Flint. We got about 2 feet of snow in about 18 hours. The city was shut-down and declaired a "state of emergency" by the governor in order to get help from the state to clear the snow. During that time, people could also legally drive snowmobiles on the roads.

we are none of those

Well I hear what you're saying in these scenarios, and I had some of the same thoughts. Some of verbiage does say though exceptions are granted under different lines of the MCL... (highlighted in yellow)

I guess what really throws me is the excerpt from the MI State Police site in the direct question and answer section:

The question asked by a state resident to the MSP:

Question: Are tire chains legal in Michigan?

The answer given by the MSP and posted for all to see:

Answer: MCL 257.710 of the Michigan Vehicle Code covers the use of tire chains, and states that a person may "use a tire chain of reasonable proportion upon a vehicle when required for safety because of snow, ice, or other condition tending to cause a vehicle to skid." If used, the chain must not come in contact with the surface of the roadway.

**Without wading through and reading into the exact wording of the MCL, this would appear to be the MSP's layman's terms understanding of the law as stated on their website. Hmmmmmm...
Nuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06970 seconds with 20 queries