Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Tow Rig Time!
Thread: Tow Rig Time!
View Single Post
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #51
ArcticCat843

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ArcticCat843

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
Yeah, because static pictures really tell you how the vehicle will behave when its moving, right? Look at that picture again. The XJ isn't that far forward and the trailer is barely level. See how much the truck is squatting already? You said you weren't going to buy immediately, so see if you can tag along with someone towing with a half-ton and someone towing with something bigger and drive them both.

One of the other problems with this thread is that you started out soliciting testimony from people who have owned the vehicle class you are interested in buying. While that's fine by itself for a good amount of asthetic characteristics and some other functional things, that's not really what you want since that's all that most of those people have ever owned. You want to hear from the people who have owned both the half-ton and the heavier trucks. Yes, I have owned both - I had a 97 Ram 1500 that I towed with and traded it in on my current Ram after only a year when I realized it was a mistake.

Look at what those people who have the experience of having been on both sides are posting. The half-ton owners are all saying "Yes, you can get by", but do you really want to just "get by"? The people who have owned heavier vehicles agree that you will "get by" (myself included), but they are recommending vehicles better suited to the job and I don't see the point with burdening yourself with having to sell off a truck in the future when its hard enough to do that now. When Obama f's up our taxes even further, people will tighten their belts even more and half-ton gassers will become even more unpopular. I think you'd be pretty happy with the comfort and capability of the diesels similar to what Immortal and Stalker_Built bought recently.

I understand Jesus 's point since we both own the same vehicle - I don't know that I would recommend it as a tow rig to anyone. Perhaps if he had a CTD, he would be less soured about the big trucks, because the V10's mileage really does suck regardless of how consistent it is. Although the V10 still does everything I need it to, I would have bought a 3500 CTD (pretty much the truck that Bio is selling) when writing out my order had I known then what I know now. Yes, recent half-tons have more power than they used to, but the peaks are still not equal, the power is still not as high through the useable ranges in the power curves as the diesels, the gassers are more costly to pump up, and you net smaller gains.
Not to get in the middle of this but 1) the truck is hardly squatting at all, and 2)the reason it is back so far is that trailer was jacked up....You cant tell so much by the pics but it was a homemade trailer and the axles were WAY to far back....That was the first time i towed it and i didnt really know what i was doing....could have been the wrong hitch or something too, i dont remember, accually, To prove how much we didnt know at the time, we loaded the jeep offcenter on the way home and blew a tire lol....Since then i have towed it to haspin acres, silver lake, Twisted trails and the badland on a different trailer (tpthrilljoes) and it tows pretty good. If you get the toung weight right you would be surprised how well it tows....and it is far under the max rating for the truck...

keep in mind im not just saying this to get the OP to buy it (even though that would be great lol) I told him if he was buying JUST a tow rig this was not the truck he wanted....But if he wasnt a nice, comfortable DD that he can tow his jeep with once and a while it is great....

Oh and i would be more than happy to load up my jeep for him and let him take it for a spin...(if joe is willing to let me barrow his trailer)

here is it on joes trailer, much better than that messed up POS in the above pic....

Ok, i guess i dont have any good pics of it but you get the idea

ArcticCat843 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.09426 seconds with 20 queries