Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Tow Rig Time!
Thread: Tow Rig Time!
View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #18
PavementPounder
I am the law.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey4506 View Post
or he realizes he doesnt need that and wants a nice ride from a vehicle that gets good mileage doesnt have as high of maintenance cost and pays less for fuel and no rust

i dunno
Yeah, then he's not buying a tow rig, which is a vehicle for occasional tow usage (like I said at the end). He sounds like he wants a nicer daily driver that will be inferior when put in the role of the correct vehicle. Sure, a half-ton will get him to the trail and back. It'll also get him a lot more wear and higher operating costs in addition to the up-front capital.

Who the fukc cares what the fuel cost would be when you are looking at buying something that costs only $7,500 vs. the $10,000, $15,000, or even the limit of $25,000 when the cheap vehicle will get significantly better mileage when towing (most likely empty, too)? Do you have any idea how many miles he would have to drive in order for the difference in gasoline vs. diesel cost to be a justifiable reason for not buying the Cummins? Seriously - do some math. Don't get overconfident in the oil market (gasoline). Diesel is also only $1 higher than gasoline right now.

Last edited by PävementPounder; November 11th, 2008 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Edited to be nicer to Hosejockey.
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05911 seconds with 20 queries