Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Just picked an older sportsman 400
View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #2
rentalrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Year? Older as in the 400 liquid cooled 2-stroke or newer 4-stroke? The 2-stroke (my assumption) is a great motor imo... I've rebuilt a couple. First thing I would look for is oil in the counterbalance reservoir. It sets back side of engine, just in front of divorced transmission... they have a tendency to run dry and will cause a complete engine failure. That's how I got the exposure to the engine's insides! :) Otherwise, pretty bullet proof, strong motor. Make sure air filter is pretty clear or you will foul plugs like diapers in that motor. Enjoy and if you ever need parts, I might have something laying around. BTW, if it's the 4-stroke, I have no idea... never got experience with that one.
OH, forgot, make sure the boots on the strut front hubs are not torn. They will eat a cv joint if dirt gets in there. Easy enough to replace (boot) if they're torn, but not once they've ruined the joint.
rentalrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06263 seconds with 20 queries