Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - TJ 318 install
Thread: TJ 318 install
View Single Post
Old November 10th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #7
snodevil
That's live action!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to snodevil Send a message via MSN to snodevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Ok, I have no experiance with the 318/360s. I've thought about doing a 5.3 Chevy swap in my TJ.

Does the mopar engines have any advantages over the Chevys?

I'm thinking the Chevy because they are relatively cheap, light weight, and the kinks have been worked out of the TJ swap.
Well, alot of people do the chevy swap. I felt like sticking with mopar. I can reuse my t-case, don't need any special adapters, I can reuse the factory gauges, the magnums have decent torque numbers, ah hell just to do something relatively different. Yes there are many mopar swaps... from LA's to magnums, to hemi's, but a 318 or 360 is pretty cheap and easy to install. Fuel lines plug right in, power steering screws right in, mechanical fan is cheap and works with factory jeep radiator shroud, computer communicates to the factory jeep systems as if it was stock, don't need and headers or whatnot to fit and because I just happened to pick up a magnum block with all accessories, computer and wiring for a reasonable price. I also got a tranny for a reasonable price. So, I just decided to go for it.

I was contemplating the 5.3 as well. It's a great motor. Most are pretty ballsy. I have driven alot of 5.3s and 4.8s in the trucks at the city I work for. But honestly it seemed that they were so different between each other as a whole. I don't know, seemed some ran good, some ok, some all over the place. Almost annoying really. But to each there own.

I just thought a 5.9 wrangler sounded cool. The magnums have their problems as well. But, like I said I like some of the simplicity of the install, the magnum torque numbers, and just to stay mopar.

Good luck which ever direction you go.
snodevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.09009 seconds with 20 queries