Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Gunsmith
Thread: Gunsmith
View Single Post
Old November 8th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #35
Tim
I UNDERSTAND!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

My father was a gunsmith so I have been around the trade my whole life. When my father retired and moved I made friends with a local gunsmith and he helped me finish up my apprenticeship so to speak. I was a machinist by trade for many years so I have the skills to do the precision metal work. Over the years I "specialized" in many things. I was a competitive shooter so I have done a lot of work on 1911's to get the competitive edge. The thing I am most passionate about is custom sporting rifles. I have built and re-stocked dozens of rifles over the years and it is the thing I enjoy the most. All my stock work is done with hand tools to keep the wood to metal fit at minimum tolerances. Also bedding is a big concern when stocking a rifle and the recoil lug is always glass bedded for stability and strength. So if you have a stock you want fitted I would love to do it for you. I have one rifle I am finishing up now and a full custom rifle I will be starting shortly (after deer season). On a re-stock the time frame is usually 6-9 months depending on the finish you choose as some London style finishes may take several weeks to apply. Checkering I can do but I am so slow at it. I can't make any money at it so I work with someone who is much faster than me but just as picky about detail. I have very few photos of my work as I just started a portfolio (I know should have done years ago) but I can provide many references and I do have examples of my work you can see in person. Most of the rifles I build are wood stocked sub half inch @ 100yards rifles which shows my attention to detail. To me craftsmanship is everything.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05757 seconds with 20 queries