Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - We have to give back and support the Common Good!!!
View Single Post
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #6
General Lee
Slice of Starsage Anyone?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to General Lee

I had a feeling that you'd make it over here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSU JK View Post
I don't know that I agree with that... by giving to a properly managed organization, you can ensure that your donation ends up doing what you intend it to do.
Can you? Really?

Are you more sure of this than if you were to get out there and do something on your own?

If I want to mow a disabled person's lawn, should I pay the $10 in gas for the lanwmower/trip over to the house, or should I dump $250 into an organization that has to pay the lawn mowing company and the person who had to call the lawn mowing company and the person who is the boss of the person who had to call the lawn mowing company or the person who is the manager of the person who is the boss of the person who had to call the lawn mowing company...etc...

Oh, but I'm sure the lawn mowing company would be volunteers...so it'd only cost $200. But hey, the money I gave would go to the mowing of the lawn! ...and I don't even have to break out a sweat!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSU JK
Also, in my opinion, certain levels of overhead are totally justifiable within a charitable giving organization because they should be able to pay appropriate salaries to attract qualified people.
To do the jobs that we are too lazy to do ourselves?

Quote:
Lastly, the private foundations and non-profit organizations have a lot more clout with politicians at all levels and are more likely to have the ability to effect policy chages that would help to further their cause.
Oh, the government. I'll leave this one alone.

Quote:
Of course, I know there are a multitude of poorly run organizations out there accepting donations just as a way to generate inflated salaries for unqualified employees.
Understatement of the year.
General Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.08498 seconds with 20 queries