Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - *SOLD* 1955 Jeep M-170 military ambulance
View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #1
1x1_Speed_Craig
Simplify...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default *SOLD* 1955 Jeep M-170 military ambulance

This was Cooter's M-170, then mine, then Cooter's again. :tonka: He has a lot going on right now, and told me to go ahead and sell it if I could. They only made about 4000 of these, so it's pretty rare. It's a single-seat setup, and the stretcher went right next to the driver seat (note the holes in the tailgate for the stretcher "poles"). There's a "pocket" on the passenger side for a spare tire & Jerry can. It's quite dented, but in solid shape for the age. The frame is in great shape, and is not rusted between the frame & strapping on the underside of the bottom frame rail (this is a problem spot on many Jeeps of this vintage). It's a 4-cyl. 3-speed, and it starts & runs nicely. The timing could probably be tweaked just a fuzz. I had a local shop rebuild the carb about 15 months ago, so it's a fresh rebuild. Also included is a '71 CJ Dana 44 that will bolt into this M-170. The '71 model rear axle also has 5.38 gears, and comes stock with 30-spline 1-pc. shafts. It's a nice upgrade for the stock Dana 44 w/2-pc. shafts.

The brakes on this are pretty much nonexistent. There a sheared brake line in the rear (an easy fix). The worst part of the body is the front of the passenger side door opening. Someone cobbled in a patch, but it's pretty "redneck". An early CJ-5 patch piece with the proper door stamping is included to help rebuild this area. It would be a fairly easy fix for someone with a MIG welder.

Jacob (jeepfreak81) saw & heard this Jeep run yesterday, and can give an unbiased opinion on the condition, if you're interested in hearing one. I'm really tempted to buy it back from Cooter (again), but I'm remaining focused on my biodiesel Scrambler project.

$1500. NO trades. Located just west of Grand Rapids. Don't bother bugging me with any low-ball offers...I'll just ignore you. Did I mention "NO trades"? I honestly don't expect to sell it here, but thought I'd list it in case someone's interested. I'll be listing it on earlycj5.com, and possibly g503.com, as well.

Craig

Last edited by 1x1_Speed_Craig; June 30th, 2008 at 08:01 AM.

Page generated in 0.10617 seconds with 20 queries