Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Pagan Religion?
Thread: Pagan Religion?
View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #15
HavenSOV
In the band!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to HavenSOV

Quote:
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
pa·gan Audio Help /ˈpeɪgən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pey-guhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. one of a people or community observing a polytheistic religion, as the ancient Romans and Greeks.
2. a person who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim.
3. an irreligious or hedonistic person.
–adjective
4. pertaining to the worship or worshipers of any religion that is neither Christian, Jewish, nor Muslim.
5. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of pagans.
6. irreligious or hedonistic.
[Origin: 1325–75; ME < ML, LL pāgānus worshiper of false gods, orig. civilian (i.e., not a soldier of Christ), L: peasant, n. use of pāgānus rural, civilian, deriv. of pāgus village, rural district (akin to pangere to fix, make fast); see -an1]

—Related forms
pa·gan·ish, adjective
pa·gan·ish·ly, adverb

—Synonyms 2. heathen, gentile. 5. See heathen.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
Just to add more fuel to everyones fire...

So pagan is used more like a generic term for poly religions.

But they are everywhere. But like an earlier post said, they have been oppressed so they keep only to them selves and do not openly practice.

it is even still oppressed today. I know that the Detroit Schools were sued over allowing one openly Wiccan girl to be persecuted on school grounds to the point where she committed suicide.

Oh, FYI, My mom has a doctorate in Comparative Religion
HavenSOV is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06276 seconds with 20 queries