Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - WhiteRhino's Latest Mods
View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:07 AM   #36
dodger889

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

OK for some of you who are thinking I'm all wet behind the ears. The first place any butt joint breaks is before or after the weld the fish plating only spreads out the pressure on that joint to make sure you don't crack the area around the weld. Since you seem to be building more than a normal usage of a jeep for doing flexing and high impact off roading. The stress you are adding to the frame will be three to four times what the jeep was designed to do. And being that you made the new part of the frame out of heavier metal which means less flexing of the frame mean you transfer more stress to the old part of the frame. Granted I might be not seeing the splice you did inside of the old frame but I also didn't see any weld joints to that splice in any pictures. Call me a fool but over building something now is better than repairing something in the future IE on the trail in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by dodger889; April 22nd, 2008 at 08:29 AM.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05929 seconds with 20 queries