Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - machine shop work
View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #15
pwilson22000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

like everyone above stated internal splining would require either a vertical broach or rotary broach. Which both methods would require special tooling for the splines you need. The concept would definitely work might be hard for machine shops to do if they don't have the tooling available to them. Maybe I'm wrong but that has atlease been my experience with splines.

If it's 1 - piece then a shop could just hobb both splines or broach the bigger spline and hobb the small spline. Either way it doesn't look cheap. Maybe talk to a place that makes axle shafts they might have the tooling you need for the splines. Probably a good place to start is trying to find our what the dimensions of your splines are to begin with.

I'm no expert but I would bet money that it would be cheaper to make a new 1 - piece than to spline both pieces and put them together.

Just a thought but maybe send an email to like JB conversions, advanced adapters, and/or novak conversions and see what they say. They certainly have a lot of experience. Who knows maybe they will let you test the first prototype for free! (doubt it though)

just my $0.02.

Last edited by pwilson22000; April 18th, 2008 at 11:11 AM.
pwilson22000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.07554 seconds with 20 queries