Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Almost time for new tires on the tow rig..
View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #1
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default Almost time for new tires on the tow rig..

I'm thinking that before this winter I'll be needing a set of tires for the tow rig. It's a 2006 Chevy 2500HD CrewCab ShortBox Dmax/Allison 4x4.

Stock tires are the 245s on 16s, and I'd atleast like to go a bit bigger. Last truck (pretty much same truck except it was an 04 gasser) I put on H2 rims and 285s. Unless I run across a screaming deal on rims, I'm proabably gonna stick with stock alloys for this truck.

Right now I'm debating two tire sizes: 285/75-16 or 235/85-16. The 235s are just over 1" taller than stock and the 285s are about 2" over stock.

I'm leaning towards the 235s since they'll be a bit narrower, and maybe provide a little less rolling resistance than the 285s while still filling up the wheel wells a bit more than the 245s. Also, they seem like they are about $150/set cheaper than the 285s. Neither will cause an major mods to the truck to fit.

Front runners in tires are BFG A/Ts or Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor for Load Range E 235s. 285s are more common, and that opens it up to Toyo Open Country A/Ts (had them on the last truck and they were pretty good) and Nitto Terragrapplers.

So, what are your opinions on A/T type tires for a tow rig in these sizes? Anything I'm missing? Do those Goodyear tires suck?

Page generated in 0.05955 seconds with 20 queries