Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Towing with a half ton?
View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #26
PeteC
Get Up and Go

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

18 ft trailer, 2000 TJ on 33's equals somewhere in the 6000# range.

Towed last year with a 2007 Jeep Commander, Full time 4WD, 4.7l. Tongue on ball was squirelly at just a tad over 65 mph. With a weight distribution hitch and sway bar it was comfortable up to 80 mph (short test on clear, dry road). Mileage between 10-12 mpg depending on head wind. Over drive off on hilly terrain. Took my tim accelerating but got up to speed by the end of the ramp. Stopping was more than adequate.

This year I have a 2008 1500 Ram reg cab also with the 4.7. Have towed a Neon on the trailer but not the Jeep yet. Felt very good all around.

Seeing how well the Commander did I see no reason the 1500 will not do as well if not better.

3/4 and 1 tons with diesels are great for pulling but really, they are not required when pulling something like a Jeep on a trailer, if the trailer and truck are set up properly. And the smaller trucks are frankly more suitable for every day use for most of us.
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06776 seconds with 20 queries