Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - FBI: Eco-Terrorism Remains No. 1 Domestic Terror Threat
View Single Post
Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:08 AM   #5
mtnbikinbryno

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mtnbikinbryno

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.K. View Post
I hate to say it but I almost see where they(ELF) are coming from. I'm tired of seeing fields and woods tore down so another strip mall can go up. Ever heard of rebuilding what we already have?

I in no way condone their actions.

We hear all the time how we (4x4 enthusiast) destroy the land. But it is OK to completely strip away tress and fields for another CVS or Subway. Not to mention logging and what it does to the land.
I agree, but it's certainly not just strip malls. Many people want two acre lots for their home in a subdivision, and builders are more than happy to provide it even though it produces more sprawl than anything. It's also hard to get the older generation of civic leaders to accept more dense development. People can't seem to get it through their head that higher permitted density in certain places preserves quaility open spaces in other areas. Many people see 200 feet of green lawn between homes as preserving green space or rural character. Blech.

Back on the strip malls - sure, there are redevelopment opportunities, but it's much cheaper to build on an untouched piece. If a strip mall proposal meets all requirements, a planning commission or city council can't deny an application based on the fact that an abandoned site sits 100' away. The easiest way to encourage redevelopment would be to amend a land use plan to reflect no commercial zoning in the vacant areas. But, it's eventually going to get developed in some manner unless a conservancy group or something purchases it. You can't deny people the right to develop their land.
mtnbikinbryno is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06681 seconds with 20 queries