Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest - View Single Post - Corner guard questions/thoughts
View Single Post
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #19
TopHeavy
Yikes!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
I might opt for thinner steel with tube reinforcement in the right places. Regarding steel versus aluminum, here are some simple numbers to go by:

One advantage of steel is that between the yield point of mild steel (around 36,000 psi) and the ultimate tensile failure point (around 60,000 psi) there is quite a large plastic range (around 24,000 psi or roughly 40% of the ultimate strength), permitting steel to endure deflection without failure, so permitting considerable ability to absorb energy.

Aluminum 5083 H-116 plate, as an example, has a yield strength of around 34,000 psi and an ultimate strength of around 45,000 psi. You can see that the plastic range of aluminum is considerably less than steel (around 11,000 psi plastic range for aluminum, or roughly 24% of the material's ultimate strength).

So, that is one of the reasons that aluminum dents easier than steel. For a vehicle that was going to take abuse, I wouldn't use aluminum.
:chiefwoohaw::chiefwoohaw::chiefwoohaw:

How fast would you have to be driving to make the steel dent?

Page generated in 0.07941 seconds with 20 queries